Healthy Crab Cakes
By: Angela Stabler - MSTv Food Correspondent & Critic
This dish is a healthy take on an American classic. You won't miss the mayo or fried cooking method. Here it is all about the crabmeat and the traditional flavorings. Crab cakes are a definite staple on any Louisiana menu. You can enjoy these ones at only 150 calories per serving. Enjoy!
1. Cook potatoes in boiling water, cool, rice with potato ricer.
2. Pick crabmeat to remove bits of shell. Place crabmeat in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons of chives, parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, mustard, thyme, and riced potatoes. Add crabmeat and fold gently, careful to not break up the crabmeat.
4. In stainless-steel bowl, place 1 1/2 egg whites, lemon juice, and white wine. Whip to form stiff peaks.
5. Fold whipped egg whites into crab mixture and mold into 3 ounce crab cakes.
6. Slightly whip (only to break up) 1/2 egg white in a metal pan. Mix together bread crumbs and chives in a second pan. Dip the crab cakes in egg white, then in crumbs mixed with chives.
7. Heat nonstick pan to medium to medium high heat. Spray pan with vegetable oil cooking spray and saute crab cakes to a crisp golden brown.
Serve with salsa or over a bed of spicy greens.
Leave a Reply.
Your new food scene
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share, or a restaurant you want us to profile? Subscribe or contact us to make it just that easy!