Dance music is slowly becoming the United States fourth most popular music genre; slightly trailing behind Pop, Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B.
Attributing its increased growth due to heavy radio rotation form the likes of the electronic music duo, Daft Punk w/Pharrell, Avicii vs Nicky Romerond and Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera have helped dance sale figures slightly overtake R&B in the first half of 2013.
Only Pop and Hip-Hop music have been more popular this year.
Already a significant force in the European music scene, dance music is now well on its way to becoming one of the defining sounds in the American market.
A prime example is the current #1 hit "Get Lucky" from Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams; that plus the growing usage of dance music being used as background music in several current television shows.
Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the BPI states, "It's drawing in artists normally associated with other genres, such as hip-hop and dubstep. These fresh influences are giving 2013's dance music an edge which is really cutting through to fans."
The top 10 selling dance singles this year are as follows:
1. Get Lucky - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams
2. Waiting All Night - Rudimental ft. Ella Eyre
3. I Could Be The One - Avicii vs Nicky Romero
4. White Noise - Disclosure ft. AlunaGeorge
5. Need U (100 Percent) - Duke Dumont ft. A*M*E
6. Drinking From The Bottle - Calvin Harris ft. Tinie Tempah
7. I Need Your Love - Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding
8. Get Up (Rattle) - Bingo Players ft. Far East Movement
9. Feel This Moment - Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera
10. Harlem Shake - Baauer